- What is the purpose and history of the Coloradan?
Coloradan aims to connect, inform and engage readers in the life of the University of Colorado at Boulder through regular communication with alumni, faculty and staff members, and friends of the University. It is published four times a year in September, December, March and June by the CU-Boulder Alumni Association. Permission to reprint articles may be obtained from the editor.
- 1911 — The Alumni Association creates Colorado Alumnus, which it published for 86 years.
- 1997 — Coloradan replaced the Alumnus. Six issues published per year.
- 2003 — Association board reduced Coloradan frequency to four issues, with circulation limited only to members for two of those issues.
- 2005 — Coloradan circulation returned to include all alumni, faculty and staff for the four issues.
- Does the Coloradan accept advertising from vendors other than the university?
Yes. Please contact Tricia Essenpreis for more information.
- Does the Coloradan work with freelance writers?
Yes. Although our features are usually assigned to a regular group of experienced and proven writers, we’re always interested in new writers and their ideas.
- What are the writer’s guidelines?
Coloradan is a quarterly alumni magazine dedicated to campus news, outstanding and interesting alumni, faculty and student achievements, university sports, Alumni Association activities and cutting-edge research and its impact on CU alumni and the world. In particular, we look for articles ranging from 700-1,600 words on exciting faculty research that has national and international ramifications, alumni of all ages pursuing interesting careers, travel adventures and activities; campus history pieces; and 400-word profiles on engaging alumni.
- How do I communicate with the editor regarding a story idea?
Queries should present a clear, original and provocative thesis, not merely a topic or idea, and should reflect familiarity with the magazine’s content and tone. They should include a lead, followed by a nut graph, as well as your writing experience. Features are generally 700 to 1,600 words in length. Profiles are 400 words. Please e-mail queries to Christie Sounart and attach two or three clips.
- Can I access the Coloradan using my smartphone or tablet?
Yes! The Coloradan website is designed to be readable from all mobile devices and a free Coloradan app is also available from the iTunes store (iOS) and Google Play (Android).